Hi, Friends! We now have the opening phases from the Commonwealth. It looks like yoga studios (assume they are under “Gyms/Fitness Centers”) are Phase 3, which means the earliest opening date allowed would be June 29. That may shift, according to the Governor. We are still in uncertain territory.
There is a possibility and OUTDOOR classes, socially distanced etc., may be allowed earlier. We are actively looking for space to use for that. Stay tuned for more info!
We are watching and waiting for guidelines and dates from Governor Baker’s reopening advisory board, which is supposed to issue a report on May 18. Right now, we don’t have any specific guidelines or dates to work with. We will continue the Livestream yoga classes while we wait for further info. Plans will be made in consultation with the Breathing Space Board, our teachers, and our community of supporters. Here’s the page we’re keeping an eye on: https://www.mass.gov/orgs/reopening-advisory-board
We are now in Week 7 following the shutdown of our Studio on March 13. We’ve been busy!
- Our great teachers – Lorrie, Johanna, Michael & Angelica – are offering livestream yoga and mindfulness classes. See the schedule here
- Dori is offering Rise Up Rooted Vinyasa Flow for experienced lovers of flow on Wednesdays at 11am (and Gentle Yoga on Thursday 5:30pm)
- We converted all classes to by donation status in the beginning of April
- A free livestream Loving Kindness Group Meditation is taking place Sundays 4pm
- We are re-connected to the Western Mass Recovery & Wellness Center (under the Hampden County Sheriff’s Department) and offering livestream free recovery yoga to their residents
- This week, we will also re-connect with the HCSD Prerelease Center, a men’s minimum security jail – and offer free livestream recovery yoga
- And, we are also up with the Northampton Recovery Center – a community recovery center in downtown Northampton – also for free livestream recovery yoga
- The Seed to Flower Fund for Yoga Service is on hold. With the investment losses due to the virus, the fund is not able to offer grants right now. However, we are optimistic that it will recover its value in the next few months.
- Our store is available for home yoga props. We can offer curbside pickup in Florence or in Holyoke for your orders. All items are new. Find out more here
In the Studio, we display a “Goodness Abounds” wooden plaque (a gift made by Cam & Benny). So much goodness being generated and shared now, at a time which is marked by great suffering and loss. Yoga can support us with strength to feel the losses during times of change without running away from them. And in that process, we may collapse at times, but can also regain our footing (literally!) and look for ways to stay connected. Health and safety to all! May you be free from inner and outer dangers
“Traveler, there is no path, paths are made by walking” – Antonio Machado
Wishing you health and ease in this period of … well, when we look back after we get through this, we’ll have a good name for it!
We are finding our way through the various options to bring you Breathing Space yoga classes online. Our teachers have been making free videos (find them here). We’re at the cusp now of being able to set up a schedule through our Studio software, and connect you to LIVE yoga classes.
The Breathing Space Studio in the STEAM Building is quietly waiting for our return. We will maintain the lease and the space until we can come back together, in person.
Monthly membership renewals have been suspended for now, as we look to a longer than expected period of closure. With the extension of school closings until at least May 4 in MA, and many experts speaking to a long period of social distancing, we want to support you. You can of course use any remaining credits you have for the online classes we will offer. Passes have no expiration date, and those credits can be used for online classes as well. If you wish to support the Studio on an ongoing basis, please use our Paypal Giving Fund option – and thank you so much.
To replace the memberships, we have instituted a sliding scale for single LIVE online classes: $5, $7, or $10, you choose which one works for your circumstances. If you have a Breathing Space login, then you can capture your card information there and sign up for classes easily. You can create a login here if you don’t have one. You will need to have a login and sign up for the live online classes, so that you can access the broadcast link.
Thank you so much for your heartfelt communication and support of Breathing Space. Stay tuned for further info on the LIVE yoga classes.
- An email has been sent to all Studio members (monthly sustaining members) requesting continued support.
- All 5- and 10-class passes have no expiration now. They’ll be valid when you return to the Studio.
- We are researching and pursuing partnerships for online yoga and meditation practices. Expect our online offerings to expand over the next week or so with a variety of teachers. Some will be free/by donation, and others may be part of the monthly membership. More info to come shortly!
- We are uploading yoga and guided meditations daily on our Youtube channel and as MP3 files. See our Online Classes page!
- The Yoga Alliance, our professional certifying body, has announced the following. We agree, and feel for everyone’s sake that you should not attend live yoga classes at this time. “We are strongly recommending for communities where social distancing has become required, recommended, or the community norm, that all in-person yoga instruction be canceled until the need for social distancing has passed, at which time we can evaluate our recommendation, including the safety of resuming regular or modified practice schedules.”
We have all been watching the Coronavirus crisis unfold before our eyes. We have been checking updates on the crisis multiple times a day, and trying to decide the best way to ensure the health of our community. In light of the number of closings for community health and advice on social distancing, Breathing Space is cancelling classes through the end of March.
Breathing Space is here for the long haul, and we ask your ongoing support as we get through this. When we cancel classes, we lose out on new participants, drop-in fees, and pass renewals. At the same time, our expenses for our beautiful space and systems continue. For monthly members, we are asking that your support continue during this time. If you feel this is not possible, please reach out to discuss at 413.437.0747.
As you know, this is a moment to moment situation, and we will keep you updated with any changes to the plan. Thank you with so much appreciation for supporting our Holyoke Studio, our Outreach work of free yoga classes in jails and addiction recovery centers, and the Seed to Flower Fund for Yoga Service. May we discover new connections through this challenging period of time.